• A Fiber Characterization (FC) Technician will be experienced in all aspects of fiber optic testing and network troubleshooting. Responsible for all aspects of the field testing process under the direction of a project manager. Provides continuous updates to the Project Manager about milestones; arriving on site, completing work, departing a site, etc., plus progress on the overall project and information which needs to be relayed to the customer. An FC Technician will be personally responsible for maintaining his/her respective certifications unless otherwise negotiated in an employment agreement. Is considered lead worker or ‘In Charge.’
Major Responsibilities / Duties
• Manage all Test Equipment which has been assigned to the project.
• Ensure that all assigned test equipment are current on calibration.
• Writing and presenting daily reports to the Project Manager for customers’ reference.
• Assigning specific tasks to subordinates (B-side technician) and monitoring their work ethics for efficiency, quality, and safety.
• Supervise all starts, breaks, and quitting time.
• Responsible for the accuracy in the test results of each technician by verifying data from opposite end before leaving the site.
• Must coordinate the timing and procedures of doing testing within the customer’s maintenance window.
• Responsible for the accuracy of all the final paperwork required and turned over to the customer in a timely manner.
• Completes quality assurance procedure and check the final reports for errors.
• Ensure the safety, quality, and efficiencies of our crew.
• Interfaces with customer contacts on projects and work orders.
• Provides technical support for customer contacts and Technicians on request.
• Attends project planning and progress meetings with or without the customer contacts assigned.
• Understands, adheres to, and promotes the Environmental, Health & Safety policies of Telecommunication standards.
Position Qualifications / Requirements
• Must possess a valid US Driver’s License.
• High school or equivalent. Vocational/Technical Business School desired.
• Think critically and problem solve.
• Handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion.
• Good judgment.
• Organizational skills.
• Customer service skills.
• Must have color vision and good hearing.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and Vendor Specific Software.
• Strong technical aptitude.
• Minimum of 2 years telecommunications training and/or experience.
• Must have demonstrated proficiency and profitability at Fiber Characterization Technician (B-Side).
• Proficient use of all tools.
• Prolonged standing.
• Climbing of stairs, ladders, and/or scaffolds.
• Carrying of loads up and down stairs.
• Reaching and/or grasping.
• Stopping, walking, kneeling, bending, crawling, and crouching.
• Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
• Must work outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Finger and wrist dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
• Heavy physical effort (usually lifting/moving up to 70 pounds).
• Exposure to noisy or dusty conditions.
• Exposure to chemicals and solvents.
• Exposure to mechanical, electrical, and/or other hazards.
• Use of standard office equipment.
• General testing knowledge required. (Ex. Fibers, COWAN, BTAS, etc.)
• Supervises, trains, provides work direction and problem solving assistance for FC B-Side technician.
Degree of Autonomy
• Works under direction of Project Manager, but responsible for field team.