• A Backbone Fusion Splicing Technician will possess 10+ years of experience in all aspects of fiber optic splicing. This Technician will have a certified ability in splicing; ribbon fiber, loose tube fiber, armored fiber, and under both inside plant and outside plant conditions. In charge of subordinates with a lower skill level index. Responsible for the start and completion of each project must result in a quality, on time, profitable product that is presented to our customer. A Backbone Fusion Splicing Technician at this level will be personally responsible for maintaining his/her respective certifications unless otherwise negotiated in an employment agreement. Is considered lead worker or ‘In Charge.’
• Fusion Splice 25+ fibers per hour.
• Ribbonize Loose Tube fibers to perform a ribbon splice from a backbone to a lateral fiber run.
• Calibrate fusion splicers for local environment.
• Perform “Hot Cut” fiber splices
Major Responsibilities / Duties
• Manage Inventory of fusion splicers and other tools assigned for the project.
• Ensure that all assigned tools are current on calibration.
• Writing and presenting a method of procedure for our customers’ approval.
• Staging all the equipment and inventorying material for accuracy.
• Assigning specific tasks to subordinates and monitoring their work ethics for efficiency, quality, and safety.
• Supervise all starts, breaks, and quitting time.
• Responsible for the accuracy and loss budget of each fiber spliced.
• Must coordinate the timing and procedures of doing work within the customer’s maintenance window.
• Responsible for the accuracy of all the final paperwork required and turned over to the customer in a timely manner.
• Completes quality assurance procedures.
• Ensure the safety, quality, and efficiencies of our crew.
• Interfaces with customer contacts on projects and work orders.
• Interfaces with the end user (contact person) and coordinates with other vendors for each project when required by customer.
• Provides technical support for customer contacts and Technicians on request.
• Attends project planning and progress meetings with or without the customer contacts assigned.
• Understands, adheres to, and promotes the Environmental, Health & Safety policies of Telecommunication standards.
Position Qualifications / Requirements
• Must possess a valid US Driver’s License.
• High school or equivalent. Vocational/Technical Business School desired.
• Think critically and problem solve.
• Handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion.
• Good judgment.
• Organizational skills.
• Customer service skills.
• Mechanically inclined.
• Must have color vision and good hearing.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and Vendor Specific Software.
• Strong mechanical aptitude.
• Minimum of a Masters in Fusion Splicing (TC-MFS) training and/or 1 year of experience.
• Proficient use of all tools.
• Prolonged standing.
• Climbing of stairs, ladders, and/or scaffolds.
• Carrying of loads up and down stairs.
• Reaching and/or grasping.
• Stopping, walking, kneeling, bending, crawling, and crouching.
• Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
• Must work outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Finger and wrist dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
• Heavy physical effort (usually lifting/moving up to 70 pounds).
• Exposure to noisy or dusty conditions.
• Exposure to chemicals and solvents.
• Exposure to mechanical, electrical, and/or other hazards.
• Use of standard office equipment.
• General testing knowledge required. (Ex. Fibers, OTDRs, Power Meters & Laser Sources, etc.)
• Supervises, trains, provides work direction and problem solving assistance for other workers.
Degree of Autonomy
• Works independently.